We advised participants in our October 2021 neighborhood-wide yard sale to take these precautions, repeated here for anyone who may be having a yard sale or selling goods online:
- Lock your home and car while the sale is in progress. Never allow anyone inside for any reason. If someone needs to use a restroom, rather than let them into your house, common sense suggests you direct them to a nearby public facility (Ralph’s)
- Do not sell alone. There is safety in numbers, so invite your friends and family to help.
- Do not keep too much cash with you. As money comes in, designate someone to take it inside. If you have a fanny pack or bank bag, you might want to keep your money in there.
- If a buyer asks you to break a large bill, offer to hold the item while they leave to get change.
- Keep jewelry or high-priced items close by to keep an eye on your most valuable items.
- Sell your items in your driveway or yard, not in an enclosed garage. Doing so blocks visibility and can be dangerous for sellers.
- Call police if someone is acting suspiciously, so have a phone handy.